Savoury Sunday Beef Roast
Nothing could be more simple or delicious than a savoury beef roast. This recipe provides a comforting dinner, plus roast beef leftovers offer many easy weekday meals.
- 4 lb (2 kg) Inside Round, Outside Round, Rump or Sirloin Tip Oven Roast
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic (3 cloves) or (1 tsp/5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coarsely ground pepper
- Pat roast dry. Rub with garlic and pepper or use variation below. Insert oven-safe meat thermometer into centre of roast, avoiding fat or bone.
- Oven-Sear by placing roast in preheated 450°F (230°C) oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 275°F (140°C). Cook uncovered until thermometer reads 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare, approximately 2 1/4 hours. Cover with foil and let stand for at least 15 minutes before carving into thin slices.
- Option Barbecue-style Roast: Combine 1/4 cup (50 mL) each strong coffee and your favourite barbecue sauce with 1 tsp (5 mL) minced garlic; brush on roast before and during roasting.
- Option Teriyaki-style Roast: Combine 1/4 cup (50 mL) each sherry and soy sauce with 1 tbsp (15 mL) dry mustard; brush on roast before and during roasting.
- Option Cranberry Roast: Combine 1 can jellied cranberry sauce, 2 chopped green onions, 1/4 cup (50 mL) soy sauce, 1 tsp (5 mL) ginger. Heat and spread on roast before roasting. Reserve extra and serve heated with roast.
Cooking Time is a guideline only and varies with ovens, roast shape and type. Roasts may be done up to 30 minutes sooner or later than estimated time.
Cut UsedRump Roast
- Difficulty: Easy
- Occasion: Everyday, Entertaining, Holiday