Use either Outside or Inside Skirt Marinating Steak (Inside is the more tender option) and ask that the silverskin membrane be trimmed off. If you can't find Skirt Steak a Flank Steak is a good substitute. Serve Skirt Steak sliced thinly with Fresh Tomato Salsa tucked into warmed tortillas or with a side of steamed rice and chili-spiced kidney or pinto beans.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- ¼ cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) chipolte chili powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 handful fresh herbs such as cilantro, basil, oregano and/or parsley, minced
- 2 lb (0.91 kg) Skirt Marinating Steak
- Coarse sea salt and ground black pepper
- Fresh Tomato Salsa (recipe follows)
- Combine garlic, lime juice, oil, vinegar,cumin, chili powder, sugar and herbs in large resealable freezer bag. Pierce steak all over with fork; place into bag and refrigerate for 1 to 12 hours.
- Remove steak from marinade and pat dry with paper towel; discard marinade. Season all over with salt and pepper.
- Cook steak on lightly oiled grill over medium heat (400°F/200°C); close lid and cook, for 6 to 8 minutes, turning at least twice, for medium-rare doneness 145°F(63°C).
- Remove to cutting board; tent with foil and let stand about 5 minutes before carving into thin slices across the grain. Serve with Fresh Tomato Salsa.
- Fresh Tomato Salsa: In medium bowl, combine 2 medium tomatoes, (seeded and diced), 1 small avocado (diced), 1/2 onion (minced), 2 cloves garlic (minced), 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and diced), juice from 1 lime, 2 tbsp olive oil and handful of fresh herbs such as oregano, basil and/or cilantro (chopped). Season with some granulated sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
TIP: Since Skirt Steak is thin, a marinade time as little as 1 hour still gives great flavour and tenderness. Skirt Steak can also stand up to an aggressive marinade for up to 24 hours without getting mushy -- click here to see our test results.
Cut UsedSkirt Steak
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Occasion: Everyday