Beef “Lollipops” with Cantaloupe Salad
Serve with the suggested salad or just serve as beef bites with the reserved dressing as a dipping sauce. If you want more of an orange flavour in the dressing, try adding a teaspoon or so of orange juice concentrate (undiluted). OPTION: If you would rather just serve slivers of cooked steak with the salad, you can skip making the lollipops and cook steak whole, carving it across the grain to serve.
- ½ cup EACH vegetable oil, teriyaki sauce and minced onion
- Grated orange zest and juice of 1 large orange
- 2 tsp EACH Asian chili sauce, sesame oil and minced clove garlic and gingerroot
- 1 ½ lb (750 g) Beef Flank or Inside Skirt Marinating Steak
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 cups Salad ingredients: sliced cucumber, cantaloupe chunks, diced sweet red pepper, slivers onion, etc
- Citrus Salad Dressing (recipe follows)
- Combine vegetable oil, teriyaki sauce, onion, orange zest and juice, chili sauce, garlic, gingerroot, and sesame oil in large dish or sealable freezer bag. Remove 1 cup of the marinade and set aside to use in Citrus Salad Dressing.
- Pierce steak all over with a fork; add to dish or bag. Cover or seal and refrigerate for 4 or up to 12 hours. Discard marinade; pat steak dry with paper towel and season lightly with salt and pepper on both sides.Slice steak across the grain into 1-inch long strips. Roll up each strip into a pinwheel shape and thread onto metal or soaked wooden skewers to make lollipops. (NOTE: you can thread several 'lollies' onto each stick like you would kabob cubes.)
- Place lollipops on well oiled grill that is preheated to 400°F and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side. Cover loosely with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make Citrus Salad Dressing (recipe follows). Toss with salad greens and other salad ingredients and serve with Lollipops as an appetizer or main course.
- 10 Minutes
Citrus Salad Dressing
- Combine 1 cup of the reserved marinade with 1/3 cup EACH olive oil and vinegar.
- Stir in 1 to 2 tbsp liquid honey and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cut UsedSkirt Steak
- Difficulty: Easy
- Occasion: Backyard BBQ, Entertaining, Tailgating