Thick-Crusted Garlic Beef Prime Rib
Buy a Restaurant-style Prime Rib: ask for a loin end, "cap off" prime rib gives the best results! “The roast was perfect! It was delicious. And the thermometer – what a difference! The meat cooked PERFECTLY! No guessing. No opening the oven. No stressing. The whole meal was delish!” —Reader Comment
- 7 lb (3.15 kg) Prime Rib Premium Beef Oven Roast
- 8 cloves garlic, cut into thin slivers
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup (50 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) herbes de Provence or dried thyme
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- Shallot Gravy (recipe follows)
- Cut shallow slits all over roast; insert garlic slivers into slits. Rub all over with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Combine parsley, mustard, herbes de Provence and oil in bowl. Set aside 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the mixture for Shallot Gravy, rubbing remainder all over roast.
- Place roast, bones down, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-safe meat thermometer into centre of roast. Roast, uncovered, in 450°F (230°C) oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 275°F (140°C); roast until thermometer reads 145°F(63°C) for medium-rare doneness, about 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours.
- Remove from oven. Cover loosely with foil and let stand for 15 to 30 minutes before carving. Drain off all but 2 tbsp (30 mL) drippings from roasting pan and make Shallot Gravy.
- Shallot Gravy: Place roasting pan over medium heat; add 3 shallots (coarsely chopped) and reserved herb rub. Cook, stirring until shallots soften. Stir in 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth and 3 tbsp (45 mL) Worcestershire sauce; simmer, stirring up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Combine 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 mL) cornstarch with equal amounts cold water, making smooth mixture. Gradually stir into broth; bring to boil, stirring until thickened, about 3 minutes. Strain.
Cook's Notes: To maximize tenderness, even in less than premium beef cuts, carve your roast into thin slices across the grain.
Cut UsedRib Eye / Rib
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Occasion: Entertaining, Holiday