Tortilla Beef Pie
Now here’s a contemporary version of the classic meat pie – no pastry to make, reduced fat and super easy. With lean Canadian ground beef and a few pantry-ready ingredients, this recipe for Tortilla Beef Pie is always ready to make.
- 1 lb (500 g) Lean Ground Beef Sirloin, Round or Chuck*
- 1 EACH small onion and clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup (125 mL) chili sauce
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 cup (500 mL) low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Cook ground beef in pan using medium-high heat for 9 to 10 minutes, breaking into small chunks with back of spoon until browned and completely cooked. Drain in colander. Return to pan and add onion and garlic; simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Mash kidney beans. Combine with beef mixture; stir in chili sauce. Place 1 tortilla on baking sheet. Spread right to edge with one-third of the beef mixture. Sprinkle with one-quarter each Cheddar and green onion. Repeat layers, finishing with tortilla, cheese and green onion.
- Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Slice into wedges and serve with more chili sauce if desired.
- *Other Options: Lean/Extra Lean Ground Beef
Cut UsedGround Beef
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Occasion: Everyday